The Oculus Rift S is a PC VR headset (tethered) by Oculus, who announced the headset at GDC 2019. Oculus, a Facebook company, is one of the leading VR hardware manufacturers and is based in the United States.
The Rift S replaces its popular predecessor, the original Rift headset.
Oculus Rift S vs. Oculus Rift: what’s new?
In comparison with the existing Rift, the Rift S bears several enhancements:
- Inside-out tracking (room-scale VR) without external sensors
- New ergonomic fit with adjustable halo headband
- Improved Fresnel lenses
- Higher pixel density (better display, 1280 x 1440 pixels per eye)
- One-cable setup
The headset’s design and fit were upgraded in partnership with Lenovo. Hence, according to Oculus, the Rift S is more comfortable to wear, offers better weight balance, and provides better light blocking.
Display-wise, Oculus claims that there is less SDE (screen-door effect) and absence of “god rays”, which were some of the common pain points listed in user reviews. The Rift S features an LCD panel whereas the original Rift users an OLED display.
However, the Rift S has a slightly lower refresh rate of 80 Hz (vs. 90 Hz on the original Rift). Also, the built-in headphones have been traded out with built-in speakers just like on the Oculus Quest.
Current Rift owners and users will still be able to enjoy the Rift platform’s content and receive software updates.
Compare both VR headsets here.
Rift S features
- Oculus Insight tracking: this headset’s five cameras enable standalone inside-out positional tracking, without external sensors or beacons.
- Oculus Touch controllers: the motion controllers that come with the Rift S enable hand tracking.
- Integrated audio system: the Rift S features built-in audio, but users may use their own audio accessories thanks to the headphone jack.
- Passthrough+: the camera sensors are able to map out the environment, enabling users to virtually see their surroundings (i.e. furniture). This allows VR users to see where they are going when outside of the fixed boundary (to grab a glass of water or sit down, for example).
- Quality VR content: the Rift content platform gives users access to a range of top VR titles such as Asgard’s Wrath, Defector, and Stormland.
Oculus Rift S price
The manufacturer retail price of the Rift S is $399 (check on Amazon).
Oculus also manufactures the Oculus Go and the Oculus Quest. Discover more virtual reality headsets as well as AR glasses with our VR/AR comparison engine.